2013 End of the Year Book Survey
This is courtesy of Jamie, from The Perpetual Page Turner, and it seemed like too much fun to pass up!
1. Best Book You Read In 2013?
There are so many books that could be listed in favourite or best book I read this year, but I’m going to go with The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater. I love that book and those characters and their world so much.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
I was so excited to read Dualed by Elsie Chapman. It totally sounded like a ‘me’ book, but I didn’t love it. Sure I liked it, but I was hoping to really love it and have major feels, and I didn’t.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins. I’m not a big fan of contemporary romance, but I’d heard so many great things about this book that I had to check it out. I totally fell in love with it!
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
Vicious by Victoria Schwab!
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
The Raven Cycle by Maggie Stiefvater, and the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas.
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Well, Tampa by Alissa Nutting was certainly out of my comfort zone! But it was compelling and well-written.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Anna and the French Kiss.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
I don’t think I’ll be forgetting Celeste from Tampa any time soon!
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
It’s a tie between The Raven Boys and The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater.
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
Oh, The Raven Boys. I can’t overemphasize how much I fell in love with that book.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
Feed by Mira Grant. I love zombie stories! I don’t know why this took me so long to pick it up!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
I am very bad at remembering quotes from books I read, and I don’t write them down. Sorry. 🙁
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
There is a scene in The Dream Thieves that had me desperately needing to talk about with someone, anyone!
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Romantic: Tarver and Lilac, These Broken Stars
Friendship: Hmm. Maybe Cath and Reagan from Fangirl. Reagan cracked me up.
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Fire With Fire by Siobhan Vivian and Jenny Han.
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else
Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein.
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
Probably supernatural/paranormal, but I’m just guessing based on my reading preferences.
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
Mira Grant’s post-zombie-apocalyptic North America in Feed was very vivid!
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
The Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett was so fun and imaginative!
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
Hands down Elizabeth Wein’s Code Name Verity.
27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
I really loved Life After Theft by Aprilynne Pike but don’t recall hearing that much about it.
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?
I love Vy’s Blog!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013?
I know it was basically me gushing, but I like my review of Vicious.
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
I think my post about finding time to read. I got a lot of feedback via Twitter and my site, compared to my usual posts.
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
Kelly’s post on spoilers! I know I had a lot to say on that!
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I only started going to bookish events this year, and while we don’t get many signings in Ottawa, we’ve had some good ones this year so it’s hard to choose the best event I participated in. But I think it would be a tie for the Ottawa and Toronto bloggers meet up! So fun to meet new people who love books and reading as much as I do!
6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?
Joining a book club has been a pretty awesome thing. I look forward to it every month!
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
I think my Armchair BEA posts got more comments than my other blog posts have, like this one on Blogger Development and Genre Fiction.
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
I would love for my reviews to get more love, but I think we all feel that way!
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
The Book Riot podcast! I love listening to it!
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
Other than try and cut back on the books I purchased (which I totally failed), I think the only goal I set was my Goodreads number of books read goal, which I met and then exceeded.
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?
3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Dear Killer by Katherine Ewell.
4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
Ashes to Ashes, the final book in the Burn for Burn series by Siobhan Vivian and Jenny Han!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?
I hope I can keep up with having a couple of reviews scheduled per week and not fall behind on my reading schedule. I like to try and keep myself organized so that I don’t feel overwhelmed with the books I want to read and write about!
Looking back over my posts, reviews, and books read in 2013 was a lot of fun! But I’m also super excited for 2014 and the awesome books that will be coming out!