Top Ten Reads of 2013
My favourite books of the year!
This year I read almost exclusively YA fiction. And boy did I read some good ones! This was definitely the toughest year to narrow down my favourite reads to just ten, so I’ve added an ‘Honourable Mention’ section at the end for a number of books that could have been on this list but just didn’t edge out the top ten.
And again, like previous years, I’ve decided to leave out books that I read this year that were part of a series, unless they were a first book in the series. I wanted to put together a list where someone could pick up a book I’ve listed and get reading, without having to go back and read from the beginning of a series. The picks are in no particular order.
1. The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
I feel like I’ve talked about this book so much this year. I actually read it twice, and loved it even more the second time (and the sequel is just as fantastic!).
2. The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson
I loved this book! The characters, story, spooky plot – all great. The sequel was fun, and now I’m really looking forward to the third and final book in this series.
3. Just One Day by Gayle Forman
4. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
This series is amazing! This first book in the series is dark, mysterious, and exciting.
5. Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein
Oh boy one of the few books that brought me to tears this year. Amazing historical fiction and terrific story about friendship.
6. Vicious by Victoria Schwab
As soon as I read this I knew it was going to make my favourite books of the year. I recommended this book to everyone after I read it!
7. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas
Best fantasy book I read all year, for sure. I have the sequel and can’t wait to read it and jump back into this world.
8. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
I initially rated Eleanor and Park a bit higher than this book, but looking back and thinking about which of the two books I would reread and which was more fun, it was Fangirl all the way.
9. These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
I fell in love with this book right away.
10. We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
This doesn’t come out until May 2014 so I feel like I’m cheating a bit by putting this on the list, but this book was awesome. There’s already a lot of buzz around it and it totally lived up to the expectations I had. I’ll be posting my review closer to the release date, but this is one you should definitely read!
- Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan
- Antigoddess by Kendare Blake
- Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
- Feed by Mira Grant
- Night Film by Marisha Pessl
- Some Girls Are by Courtney Summers
- The Nighmare Affair by Mindee Arnett
What were your favourite books you read in 2013?